"I've discovered that my own little postage stamp of native soil was worth writing about and that I would never live long enough to exhaust it."
- William Faulkner




Friday, September 23, 2011

seeing red

I have always worn red lipstick.  Not every day mind you, but since late high school and early college, I've been known to slap some red right on the kisser.  And it seems like every fall, red lips seem to come back around, which makes me super excited.

A lot of girls I know are intimidated by red lips and don't think they can pull them off.  Like with anything you're not used to, I say, "act like you know what you're doing, and everyone will think you do." 

The keys to perfect red lips are 1) getting the color right for your skin tone, and 2) application.  It may seem silly - we all know how to put on lipstick - but with red, you have to take a little more care.  I love a makeup tutorial video, so here are a couple great ones:

Choosing your red (Michelle Phan videos are great):


Flawless application (this one is long, but helpful):


Here are some ladies in red that I LOVE!
Anne's fair skin looks perfect with red lips.  It's my favorite look for her.


I love this picture of Kimmy because her lips are the focus. She rarely tones the eye makeup down, but it looks great!

My girl, Emma Watson, keeps her short hair from looking too boyish with a dark red lip stain.

And who can argue with Marilyn?

Ok, so now that it's officially fall, who's going to wear red lips this weekend?  I am!

4 comments:

Harris Helen said...

me me me! Vesuvio all the way

Katy Agnew said...

Will you PLEASE help me pick some out? I'm at a loss and don't trust some of the ladies at Sephora (I know, let it go...).

Jamie said...

So glad to see someone else appreciates red lipstick. It certainly takes confidence to pull it off. I usually only wear it at night. My favorite brand for red is Chanel because their lipstick is so moisuturizing. It's pricey but worth it.

LT (and Max) said...

oh, you're FABULOUS in red. i must say, claire pulls it off well too. and so does gwyneth paltrow.
I have always wished that i could be a red-wearer, but in fact, I am not.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...