"I've discovered that my own little postage stamp of native soil was worth writing about and that I would never live long enough to exhaust it."
- William Faulkner




Tuesday, May 25, 2010

it's Tuesday, and i'm ready for Friday again

I’m back, friends! Miss me? Thanks to the beauty of scheduled posts, I was able to travel without feeling like I was neglecting you.

I spent most of last week in Orlando for work. And yes, we went to Disney, but the highlight of my trip? The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. “But it hasn’t opened yet,” you might be saying. Well, MK and I happen to be in high places (yeah, right), and the group I was with got a sneak peek! We were the very first group to see it, and I cannot even say enough wonderful things about it. All I can really say is, if you are ever in Orlando and love Harry Potter, it is an ABSOLUTE MUST.

Anywho, I did have a chance to finish Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It was recommended to me by Harris, who usually has the same taste in books as I do. Unfortunately, this one was the exception rather than the rule. I did love all the talk about Savannah, Georgia (my dad is a native, and I still have family there) and the “Southern-ness” of it all – parties, quirky people, gorgeous old homes and blue-haired old ladies. The book is divided into 2 parts: the first is essentially a description of all the characters in the story, and the second part is where it finally got interesting for me. I’m not going to tell you what happened because well, that would be a spoiler. I’m so torn over this one, but I give it a C+. But talk to Harris and Claire if you want a second opinion.

Moving right along to Clapton: The Autobiography. I started it the other night, and it was fascinating to read about Slow Hand’s childhood in England and how American music, primarily the Blues, inspired him to become a musician in his own right. In the first chapter alone, I counted five Mississippi artists. Birthplace of America’s music indeed.

Hope you all had a great weekend and Monday. See you tomorrow for WLW!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...