"I've discovered that my own little postage stamp of native soil was worth writing about and that I would never live long enough to exhaust it."
- William Faulkner




Sunday, August 19, 2007

happy c-day

26 years ago on this very day,
Claire entered the world in the usual way.
As a child, she was chatty and skippy,
telling everyone who’d listen that she was the real Pippi.

She began her life in the Cajun state,
And now has an Alabama license plate.
In Starkville began her love of school and class,
With her first grade teacher, Mrs. Sassafras.
One of three kids in the Hardin fam,
she’s been known to say “It’s not your turn, is it, Sam?”
It seemed she and Hannah were always in trouble,
and with Alexis, the mischief most definitely doubled.
With a pumpkin as a weapon and causing quite a racket,
the three infuriated the teacher in the leather jacket.
She had many loves, and it was clear by her manner,
when she managed to purchase the A Time to Kill banner.
Mesmerized by Clifford and that Martin Short man,
She’s rarely seen without a worm in hand.

Also quite fond of Cow Tales and Junior Mints,
She once said “havoc!” when it didn’t make sense.
And now she’s the teacher, leading her own group of kids,
Just like years ago, as Mrs. Sassafras did.
One of my oldest and dearest friends, I miss her every day,
I’m glad I now have this blog so that I may say...


“Happy Birthday, Claire!”

3 comments:

LT (and Max) said...

so so cute! happy birthday claire!!!

(thanks for making me look like the uncreative friend who can't rhyme!!!) :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Pippi...Mrs. Sassafras

Anonymous said...

Aw I LOVE it!! I'm printing this out on a colored printer. Thanks, Swart!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...