"I've discovered that my own little postage stamp of native soil was worth writing about and that I would never live long enough to exhaust it."
- William Faulkner




Monday, November 16, 2009

take a bow?

Ok, so the Prez bowed to the Emporer and Empress of Japan while visiting the country this week (look how cute she is in her traditional kimono!). And some people seem to think that's a big, hairy deal . I don't know a lot of things, and I'm certainly no expert on Japanese culture. But I have been there, and I bowed about a million times (I still do it sometimes accidentally). Like shaking hands in the West, it's just what you do there in much of the East. I've heard that the President of the United States bows to no one, but would you rather him have not bowed and made waves in the very tradition- and decorum-minded Japan? I happen to think there are a few more important things going on stateside than worrying about the President's body language. And let's keep as many friends overseas as we can. I hear there are a few countries out there that don't care for us very much.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Anisa said...

AMEN. People are out of control.

Ann Onymus said...

Yes indeed--if he had not bowed, then there would have been huge uproar about his being arrogant or something. I don't agree with every thing the man does, but it seems like there are some who don't agree with anything he does.

Anonymous said...

I think Americans can have such a double standard sometimes - we want people to show us respect on OUR turf, but we bow to no one?

Please.

-ch

mary-kathryn herrington said...

good for him!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...