"I've discovered that my own little postage stamp of native soil was worth writing about and that I would never live long enough to exhaust it."
- William Faulkner




Monday, January 9, 2012

grammar nerd

English was my favorite subject in high school. I loved studying grammar, and diagramming sentences made me giddy. Still does. I laughed out loud at this article about diagramming Sarah Palin's particular, ahem, "style" of speech.

Grammar is one of those thing that you don't notice until it goes terribly wrong. A person can be impeccably dressed, perfectly coiffed and have a spot-on handshake, but when he or she opens his or her mouth and says "whelp" instead of "welt" or hands in a memo incorrectly using "it's" or "its," the facade is ruined.

If you are like me (not "I"), you'll love this article as well.

Speak well, or forever hold your peace!

4 comments:

mary-kathryn herrington said...

i love this!!

Anonymous said...

amen. i'm a grammar nazi as well. and a spelling freak. i love it when people write "grammer" LOL double whammy!!!

laura mc

The Shermans said...

If you only knew how much grammar issues drive me crazy. "It's & "its" and "your & "you're" make me insane...equally as infuriating--the mispronunciation of "mischievous." Everyone says "mis-chee-vee-us." Ugh.

The Shermans said...

And now I realize I left off quotation marks after "your." Geez.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...