"I've discovered that my own little postage stamp of native soil was worth writing about and that I would never live long enough to exhaust it."
- William Faulkner




Friday, September 18, 2009

happy friday and a book review

Raise your hand if you watched the season premier of The Office last night! (Let the record show that I raised mine.) Creed, Andy, Dwight, PB&J, Michael, Kelly, I missed you all. Welcome back to primetime TV, friends.

Before I disappear into the weekend, I’ve got a book review for you all. I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, recommended to me by my buddy, Laura Merrill. I mentioned in my initial post about this book that it’s written completely in epistolary style, the letters and telegrams from the characters traveling from London to the Guernsey Island and back again. I was skeptical about the development of the characters with this type of writing, but as with any well-written letter, you learn a lot about its composer. And with any good author (like these ladies), you begin to feel like you truly know the characters and perhaps you’ve stumbled upon these letters in an old attic.

That said, as much as I really liked learning about these people and their lives post-WWII, I did get a little weary of the format. The many interesting characters proved to be a blessing and a bit of a curse – hearing from so many viewpoints was wonderful, but I found myself getting confused between who was whom. Still, a really great book for anyone who loves Europe and is interested in all things WWII. Thanks, LMA, for the recommendation!

You just thought I was finished with Jen Lancaster. Well, my friends, you were wrong. I started reading her 4th memoir Pretty in Plaid last night, and if you liked her 3 previous books, you will love this one just as much. I appreciate anyone who can be hilarious, self-deprecating and a total egomaniac all in the same sentence. Book review to come soon, as I’m sure it won’t take me long to read this one.

One more note: Haley has re-entered the blogging world! Check her out for fashion, fun and general hilarity.

Have a great weekend, friends!

1 comment:

Anisa S. said...

I've read about 30 pages of the book and am having trouble picking it back up...will have to keep trying!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...