"I've discovered that my own little postage stamp of native soil was worth writing about and that I would never live long enough to exhaust it."
- William Faulkner




Thursday, July 12, 2007

goodbye to a steel magnolia

I’m sure you are all aware that former First Lady of Mississippi Pat Fordice died this morning at home with her family. No woman was a more authentic Steel Magnolia than Ms. Fordice. Even after her divorce from former husband Gov. Kirk Fordice in 2000, she remained a pillar of strength through Gov. Fordice’s final days, taking great care of him while suffering from leukemia until his death in 2004 and displayed touching, gentile emotion at his memorial.

She recently worked under Jackson Mayor Frank Melton as the head of the city’s Human and Cultural Services Department overseeing youth and senior services as well as art and cultural programs. The Southern Belle continued to strike a chord with Mississippians through the “I’m Not Your Mama” campaign for a litter-free Mississippi. Ms. Fordice will always stand as a true example of what it means to be a lady.

2 comments:

Courtney and Jason G. said...

Mary Stratton- I love reading your blog. You are a little delta diva; and I love that you are so proud of where you came from. Your spot is very resourceful too- I love going to all of your "picks". I think Mississippi Tourism shouldn't worry with you on board.
Cheers!

The O'Brien Family said...

Mary Stratton..
Thanks for visiting our blog...so glad to see that you are blogging, also. I hope you and Kell are doing well. I am so jealous you were just in Europe. Greenwood would love y'all back!!
Elizabeth

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...