"I've discovered that my own little postage stamp of native soil was worth writing about and that I would never live long enough to exhaust it."
- William Faulkner




Friday, June 5, 2009

oh happy day!


It’s National Donut Day! And I cannot think of anything more deserving of such a distinct honor.

Thought to have been invented by the Dutch and called “oily cakes”, the donut gained popularity in the US in the 1900s. During World War I, young American men fighting overseas were even served donuts by grateful Frenchmen as reminder of food back home. My personal favorite: chocolate-covered with sprinkles.

Celebrate with your favorite fried treat!

Have a great weekend.

2 comments:

Harris Helen said...

I like blueberry cake.

Faith(ful) Reader said...

National Doughnut Day? Oh to be in NY where I could celebrate with one from the Doughnut Plant. Such joy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...