"I've discovered that my own little postage stamp of native soil was worth writing about and that I would never live long enough to exhaust it."
- William Faulkner




Thursday, February 19, 2009

oh, for the love...

I hate that it’s been so long since my last post. Time to rectify that, eh?

Since I last chronicled my happenings, a lot has gone on. Well not a LOT, per se, but a lot for me. I know some of you hate Valentine’s Day, so for those that do, this is not really dedicated to love, just the love of food.


Kell and I haven’t gone out to eat on Valentine’s Day in probably 5 years. Restaurants are crowded, the service is usually not that hot, and the price tag is typically staggering. Instead, we cook at home, and Kell brings flowers that are NOT roses (yippee). And this year, I got crazy – if you call eating on fine china and sterling that has never been used crazy. It was a perfect opportunity to try out recipes for the Delicious Dish:

Seared Ahi Tuna
2 ahi tuna steaks
2 Tbsp dark sesame oil (I could not find dark, so I just used regular sesame oil)
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp of grated fresh ginger (this was fun – I got to use my Microplane!)
1 clove garlic, minced (I recommend mincing it yourself; I don’t think the stuff in the jar is as good)
1 green onion (scallion) thinly sliced (a few slices reserved for garnish)
1 teaspoon lime juice (ends up being about half a lime, squeezed)

DIRECTIONS
Mix the marinade ingredients together and coat the tuna steaks with the marinade, cover tightly, and refrigerate for at least an hour. Ours sat in the fridge for about 4 hours, but I will try it overnight next time.

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high to high heat. When the pan is hot, remove the tuna steaks from the marinade and sear them for a minute to a minute and a half on each side. Tuna is best super-rare!

Remove from pan and enjoy. Sprinkle with a few green onion slices for garnish if you like.

Kell and I doubled the marinade recipe since our steaks were so big. I poured half the marinade in the container before I added the tuna. This allows the bottom to get some of the flavor. Flip half way if you want. This recipe would probably be great with chicken, too!

Sauteed Garlic Asparagus

3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 bunch fresh asparagus
3 cloves garlic, chopped

DIRECTIONS
Melt the butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and asparagus spears; cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until asparagus is tender. If you like your asparagus well done, reduce heat and cook an additional 10 minutes.

Chocolate-dipped Rice Krispy Treats (I got this recipe from an adorable website I stumbled upon. GREAT stuff and lovely pictures)
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1 bag mini marshmallows
6 cups Crisped Rice cereal
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips (I used white chocolate because Kell loves it)

DIRECTIONS
Butter a 9×13-inch pan well.

In a large sauce pan melt butter. Add pinch of salt and stir. Add mini marshmallows and stir until completely melted (don’t let them burn. We are going for krispy treats, not s’mores). Add cereal and stir so that all of the cereal is coated in marshmallow buttery goodness. While still hot, scoop into greased pan. Press the rice krispies batter into the pan. Helpful hint – wet your hands a little with water and then press the batter in. the water keeps the batter from getting all over your paws.

Place in the fridge to cool - about 30 minutes.

Once cool, use a good spatula to remove the entire slab of rice krispies from the pan. Place on a clean table. Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out whatever shape you like (be sure you have a good cookie cutter – mine bent. The kind with the rubber grip is the best). Place on waxed paper.

Melt the chocolate in 30-second intervals in the microwave. After each interval, stir, stir, stir. You don’t want this to burn, either.

Dip one side of the hearts in the melted chocolate and place then chocolate side up on the waxed paper. Let sit for several hours to harden or place in the fridge to hurry along the process. I put some sprinkles on mine to be festive, but frankly, they were cuter naked (ooh, I’m sassy!).

Hope everyone has had a great week so far. 4 days until the Oscars!!

4 comments:

mary-kathryn herrington said...

oh tulips are my favorite! and i might have to make that tuna this week...lewie would love that.

Jennifer and BJ said...

that was a fancy dinner...it definitely deserved your "good" dishes!

Anonymous said...

Just a thought--coating the ahi with sesame seeds after they come out of the marinade adds a delicious touch. I use half black seeds and half white seeds when I'm trying to impress guests--it works!

The Texas VicHorns said...

Vic and I made the exact same thing on Valentines Day night! (minus the asparagus). We never go out on V-day either.

My spin on the recipe: I crushed wasabi peas in a bag and added a little brown sugar and pressed into both sides of tuna before searing. I also added a little bit of honey to my marinade.

I will have to try your asparagus recipe. You can never go wrong with garlic. I faithfully check your blog for recipes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...