"I've discovered that my own little postage stamp of native soil was worth writing about and that I would never live long enough to exhaust it."
- William Faulkner




Monday, August 29, 2011

sweet babies

And before you ask, no I'm not referring to having a baby myself.

Now that that's out of the way, it seems like everywhere I turn someone either has a new baby or one on the way.  And where there are babies and babies-to-be, there are baby showers.  And where there are baby showers, there's food!

It's no secret that I love a cupcake.  I like to think I loved them before they became the new hip thing in the culinary world, but that's neither here nor there.  Certainly you've noticed with the popularity of the cupcake on the rise, so have the little lagniappes to decorate the tops and even the sides of these pint-sized pastries.  I recently helped with a baby shower for a friend having a boy, and I can assure you that more decorating items exist in pink than in blue.  So in case you're ever in the same boat as I was, I made these, and I'll show you how...
After an intense google search (and by "intense" I mean any search over about 5 minutes), I found a free printable cupcake topper here and printed them off. I cut them out and then cut circles in a sheet of card stock just a little larger than the outside of the topper.  Then, I put a piece of double-stick tape on the top and bottom of the elephant topper, attached a toothpick, and slapped the cardstock back on the topper, thereby making a toothpick sandwich.

I just tinted store-bought frosting with a few drops of blue food coloring and piped a hefty swirl on the top of each one.  Add a few little candy pearls and my nifty toppers, and voila!  Here's one up close and personal:
Now how easy is that?

While we're talking about kids and cuteness, my photog friend Beth is doing some great mini-sessions during the last few weeks of September! 
Think back-to-school, families, Christmas cards, etc.  You might remember the great pictures she took of Kell and me this summer.  If you're interested - and you totally should be - contact her at b.mofoto@gmail.com.

And finally, a recipe to share!  We had this at a baby shower this weekend, and it is sinfully sweet and just as easy...


1/2 c. butter
1/3 c. light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 - 8 oz. block cream cheese
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 c. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (recipe only calls for 3/4 c., but 1 c. is better...)

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture starts to bubble. Set aside to cool, and whisk in vanilla.


Cream together cream cheese and powdered sugar for 60 seconds. With mixer on low speed, add in brown sugar and butter mixture. Mix until combined. Add chocolate chips and stir again.

We had this with graham cracker sticks, but you can also serve with fruit, animal crackers, pretzels or your fingers.

I hope you had a great weekend!  Don't forget to come back on Wednesday for my next Wish List!

1 comment:

LT (and Max) said...

cookie dough dip??? yes, please.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...