"I've discovered that my own little postage stamp of native soil was worth writing about and that I would never live long enough to exhaust it."
- William Faulkner




Tuesday, October 28, 2008

t minus 7 days...

It's countdown time! Our country is staring down the most important choice of our generation, perhaps even of our lifetime. Elections in nature are polarizing, becoming more and more so as time marches towards the first Tuesday in November. Mud has been slung from all directions, some warranted, more unwarranted. Things have been said, speeches have been made and commercials run. Hours and hours of news-watching has left cobwebs in certain quadrants of my brain while others are in overdrive. I don’t claim to be a political pundit, and I don’t think any one person on Earth has all the answers. But I am certain of one thing: Americans are born into a privilege many in the world will never experience or even be aware of. And with this great privilege brings about great responsibility.

I don’t necessarily believe that one vote can always make a difference, but I know there are men and women fighting all over the world so that the millions in our country can cast our one vote (and those casting multiple ballots are stealing from me the importance of my vote while making a mockery of the fight of the soldiers of today and yesteryear). In one week, we will have a new President-elect, and I’ll be the first to say that it’s time for one.

After years of complacency and an “it won’t happen to us” mentality, we have finally reached a fork in the road. One in which will dictate the course of our lives and maybe even the lives of our children and grandchildren. I emplore each of you to take your vote seriously. It’s the only one you get (legally). Vote for the candidate you honestly trust, not the one that just asks you to. Vote for the man who loves his country more than himself. Vote for the man you’d most like in charge of our brave men and women guarding our nation at home and overseas. Vote for the man who believes freedom is bought with hard work and valor and not handed out. Vote for the man that surrounds himself with people of character, transparent if even to a fault. And remember that supporting “Main Street America” not only means the small business workers, but the small business owners, too.

Red, blue, left, right, we’re all Americans, so cast your vote in 7 days! Godspeed to our leaders and God bless the USA!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...