"I've discovered that my own little postage stamp of native soil was worth writing about and that I would never live long enough to exhaust it."
- William Faulkner




Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"p" is for...

I admit it - I was a skeptic. The idea of grown men enthusiastically attending midnight releases of the newest edition of a book about wizards was, to me, creepy at worst and pathetic at best. I fought it for years, book after book, movie after movie, quite pleased with myself that I had risen above its ability to have its devotees speaking the language the author conjured up herself.

But, I now have a confession to make: Hi, my name is Mary Straton, and I am a Muggle. Yes, you read that right, folks - with the encouragement of my friend and cousin-in-law Jennifer Cougle (who also loaned me the first two installments), I've taken to reading Harry Potter. And like a fish to water, might I add. All though my literal side is appalled by just the idea of a mystical school for kid wizards where they play a soccer-like game on flying broomsticks, my creative side couldn't love it more. Author J.K. Rowling has earned every penny she's made as a result of the truly fascinating world she has created.

While I don't count myself as one of the series's top fans, and you won't find me dressed up at a reading, I am enjoying the books. I was once on an airplane and after seeing the book on my lap, someone sitting near me wanted to talk about it the whole flight. Fortunately, he was more than happy to have me return to my reading, and I avoided a potentially awkward conversation. You may call me a nerd, but I'm nowhere near this extreme.

On another note, congratulations to President Bush's daughter, Jenna, on her recent wedding to Henry Hager. Hey, Jenna, I never got my invitation. I'm sure it just got lost in the mail or the zip code was wrong or something. God Bless the happy couple!

Also, I realize I have been lacking in the Delicious Dish department, but I've got a real winner this week. AND it starts with "P!"

Whitney's Puttin' on the Ritz

8 oz. Cream Cheese
4 chopped green onions (optional)
1 bag shredded swiss cheese (1 1/2 c.)
1/2 c. mayo

topping:
8 pieces cooked bacon
1 pkg. Ritz crackers crushed
1 stick butter melted completely

Mix all ingredients together place in small dish and bake at 350 for 15-20 min. Then remove the dish from oven top with ritz and bacon mixture, drizzle with melted butter and place back in oven for 5 min.

1 comment:

LT (and Max) said...

1. i do not like harry potter. i know...i'm the only person in american who hasn't read them.

2. jenna was a pretty bride. I still think W is cute too.

3. sounds like a yummy recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...