"I've discovered that my own little postage stamp of native soil was worth writing about and that I would never live long enough to exhaust it."
- William Faulkner




Monday, April 13, 2009

up from the grave He arose!

Hello, readers. I hope everyone had a great weekend and a “Hoppy” Easter. I just love saying that.

Kell and I donned our Sunday bests and headed to church on Easter morning. Sometimes when I’m in church, I picture what it would be like if someone were standing just outside the church doors. Would they be drawn inside? Would they think everyone inside was a religious zealot? Would they be moved by what they heard? Would they just stand and listen? Would they just walk past? I know I should be more focused on what’s going on inside than what it sounds like in a church parking lot, but I can’t help it.

And I must admit, I had a twinge of disappointment when they message at church was not the Easter story. Just like the Christmas story, I always want to hear it on Easter. Am I crazy? Nevertheless, the pastor shared a verse that I was not familiar with but that I found particularly appropriate for the time in which we live. I think each of you can appreciate it:

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13

How encouraging, right? After church, we had Peyton over to eat with us, and I made a couple of delicious dishes:

Asparagus Casserole (because this is the only green Peyton likes)

2 cans asparagus, drained well (next time I’ll use 1 lb. boiled, fresh asparagus)
1 can Campbell's cream of mushroom soup (I used fat free)
1 stick real butter (you don’t really need the whole stick unless you just want it – I used ½)
1 sleeve Ritz crackers or 1 pkg Waverly crackers
1 8oz package Kraft shredded cheddar cheese

Place the two cans of the drained asparagus on the bottom of a casserole dish. Spread the Cream of Mushroom Soup across the asparagus. Then sprinkle the Shredded Cheddar Cheese across the asparagus.

Meanwhile, in a microwavable bowl melt the stick of butter, crumble the Ritz or Waverly crackers and add to the melted butter, mixing well. Cover the casserole with the crumbled cracker mixture. (I just poured the melted butter over the top)

Bake in a 350°F degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until the cracker topping is golden brown.

Bacon Cheddar Corn Muffins

A drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
6 slices bacon, chopped
1 box corn muffin mix plus ingredients according to package directions to make 1 batch muffins
1 rounded teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
3 to 4 tablespoons finely chopped chives
1/3 pound brick sharp yellow Cheddar, chopped into 1/4-inch dice

Preheat oven to muffin mix package directions.

Drizzle a little extra-virgin olive oil into a small skillet and place over medium-high heat. Add bacon to hot pan and crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel. Set aside.

Prepare the muffin mix and muffin tin to package directions. Stir in paprika, chives, chopped cheese and crisp bacon bits. Fill muffin tins and bake until golden brown.

Enjoy them both!

Oh, and if I told you I wasn't completely engrossed in My Sister's Keeper, I would be lying. Thanks for the great recommendation, Claire.

Have a great week, everyone.

5 comments:

LT (and Max) said...

i was hoping to see a pic of you on Easter, as i'm sure you had on a cute outfit like always.

when you started doing the "delicious dish" posts, I tried to do my best to copy down as many recipes as possible, but i have not done so great lately. it is on my to do list this summer to go back and copy down all of them. think i can do it?

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that asparagus casserole sounds YUMMY! But, you know, I can't eat asp. without pretending I am eating steamed Grinch legs. I am going to try that recipe sometime.

I have one for white chicken asparagus lasagna that is deeeelish. We should start our own Delicious Dish radio show.

-claire

mary-kathryn herrington said...

agreed... why not preach on the holiday at hand? i often ask myself this at our church, where the holidays don't always dictate the sermon either! i feel like it should not be an option. though we may have heard it time and again, it certainly can't hurt to be reminded that jesus died for our sins, and rose again! and now i am off my soap box!

Lindsey Hoskinson said...

Easter lunch sounds like it was divine! You sound pretty creative in the kitchen- I am bad about not trying new things b/c i just always rely on old favs. I should venture out more.

Anonymous said...

btw, jodi picoult is my FAVORITE author right now. just finished 'salem falls' and i read 'my sister's keeper' a few years ago. (loved it) if you like that one, you will love all her books too. i also recommend 'the pact' and 'the tenth circle'

target carries most of her books, and they are usually some percentage off from regular bookstores. i have several that you can have: let me know and i'll send them with kelley next time he's up in jackson. :)

laura mc

p.s. i think "my sister's keeper" is going to be made into a movie...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...