Hobby Lobby looks like the North Pole threw up inside. That can only mean one thing - the most wonderful time of the year is fastly approaching. Here's a fun Christmas Q and A, courtesy of yaya.
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I am usually anti-gift bag unless a) absolutely necessary due to lack of prep time or shape/size of item or b) they are super cute.
2. Real tree or Artificial? This subject actually spawns some inner turmoil for me. I love the idea and aroma of a real tree, not to mention the fact that you just throw it away when the time comes. However, it is hard to beat the convenience of an artificial tree.
3. When do you put up the tree? Again determined by real or artificial tree. The longer you wait to put up a real tree, the longer the smell lasts. My parents used to have an artificial tree, and we (or should I say I) put it up the day after Thanksgiving.
4. When do you take the tree down? The day after Christmas. I think the tree actually loses some of its luster late afternoon on Christmas Day. And I like to throw away the lights with the tree. They are too cheap to fool with.
5. Do you like eggnog? No. sick. No one should be drinking anything with “egg” in the title.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? Not sure, really. I bet that hurts Santa’s feelings. I guess my American Girl doll. I bet Harris’s fave gift was the Moon Shoes.
7. Hardest person to buy for? Kell I guess.
8. Easiest person to buy for? The twins.
9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, we got a lovely Fontanini one for a wedding gift. It’s one of my most favorite things.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail for sure. Email is just wrong. And if anyone needs Christmas Cards, call Kell – he’s selling them through the Phoenix Club (sorry for the shameless plug).
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I better not say.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Christmas Vacation probably. Kell started watching it this year in July, I think.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I bought my first Christmas gift in October this year. I’m almost finished.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I don’t think so, but I’m sure I have for birthday or other happies.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Puppy chow. I agree, yaya.
16. Lights on the tree? Yes. You could land a 747 with all the lights I put on the tree. And as I mentioned in #4, I like to throw them out with the tree.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Secular: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. No contest. Religious: Carol of the Bells (not really religious, but you sing it in church. That counts.) Again, no contest. I also like O Come O Come Immanuel.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? As of now, we travel, alternating Smith and Karatassos homes.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? Yes. I have plates with each one frolicking on them. And I believe the plural form of “reindeer” is “reindeer.” Even if that is not the case, an apostrophe is not necessary as the noun is not possessive, nor is it a contraction for “Reindeer is.” Forgive me; sometimes my proofreading side rears its ugly head.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? A star, but I am not opposed to an angel.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Both.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? I agree with yaya – when people substitute “Holiday” for Christmas. Ridiculous. You don’t see a menorah being called Holiday Candlesticks do you? Oh, and the Dirty Santa game. Seriously people, that is just mean. Don’t steal my presents.
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? No. I do have some favorite ornaments, though. The pickle, the wedding cake one that Kell gave me when he asked me to marry him (gag if you must, but I thought it was sweet and I love it) and the Eskimo one at my parents’ house. I also love the framed 5th grade picture of a certain friend of ours that hung on yaya’s tree. Sorry, had to mention it.
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? We have breakfast for dinner on Christmas Eve, and I love it. Gave me the worst heartburn of my life one year, though.
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? A TV armoire, curtains, a china cabinet, dining room table and chairs, new couch, rug, artwork, new knobs for the kitchen cabinets, 2 ottomans, furniture for the foyer, world peace and a headboard. That should about do it. For now.
HO HO HO!